Our Lady of Czestochowa icon is the most venerated image of Mary in Poland. Tradition says that this icon was written by Luke the Evangelist on a board on the table at which the Holy Family ate. The 326 came to Jerusalem, the Empress Helena, who received the icon as a gift from the faithful. Placed the image of the Empress of Constantinople. In the twelfth century icon was taken to Russia. The then Prince Halych placed her in a castle in Bełza, where he became famous with numerous miracles. Hence, in the Orthodox Church, this icon is venerated under the name Bełzkiej Icons Mother of God. In the fourth century, Red Ruthenia, and with it the Principality came under the command of Bełzkie Prince Wladyslaw of Opole. At the same time, the castle surrounded Bełza Tatars. By asking Mary to defend his people against the enemy, issued the icon on the walls of the castle. Tartar arrows hit the painting. Suddenly fell thick fog, which made the ranks of Tartar mixed up. Invader was forced to withdraw. In 1382, Prince Wladyslaw intended to transport the image to Opole. However, in Czestochowa, the car stopped, and the horses did not want to move. Prince acknowledged the sign of the will of God and sent to the Jasna Gora monastery icon. In 1430, the Jasna Gora robbers attacked. They loaded the car and valuables, the miraculous image. However, the horses could not move, until the icons are not thrown out of the car. One of the thieves pulled out a sword and slashed its icon. The image split into three parts, and from that time on the face of Mary appear two characteristic "scars." Conservators at that time made many changes in the image, so that little is left of the style in which the original was made. Madonna is an icon in the type of Hodegetrii (Mother of God points to Jesus as someone who is "the Way, the Truth and the Life"). Lilies on the Mary's maforion and dress symbolizes innocence and virginity of Our Lady.
Egg tempera on wood, sized 19 cm x 26,5 cm with the ark.